Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Steampunk Convention

I love the idea of steampunk: classic Victorian gentry and traditions, but with modern day science and techniques. Anyone can be part of it, can create things from it, can change how they look at their world.

I went to a steampunk convention and I realized something: a person made each piece of their costume, creating a different dimension to this world, and that person was the most unique one in their own dimension.

While there are those who would argue that steampunk is simply wishful thinking and a romanticization of the past, I feel that they miss the point.  The point is that we create this realm of fantasy, because we can, and because we wish to expand on the glorious things that we previously took for granted.





"To some, ‘steampunk’ is a catchall term, a concept in search of a visual identity. To me, it’s essentially the intersection of technology and romance. – Jake von Slatt

No comments:

Post a Comment